Sunday, May 20, 2012

Networking on LinkedIn


LinkedIn is a free social networking site for professionals, with higher service levels and additional perks available for paid memberships.  “LinkedIn connects you to your trusted contacts and helps you exchange knowledge, ideas, and opportunities with a broader network of professionals” (Linkedin.com).  Furthermore, “as of March 31, 2012, LinkedIn operates the world’s largest professional network on the Internet with 161 million members in over 200 countries and territories” (LinkedIn.com/about).

The purpose is to provide opportunities for “connections” with other professionals and online collaboration through job postings, group discussions and the sharing of information.



I use LinkedIn in my current job to connect to our clients in a more personal way, also to research information on potential new clients, even reaching out to contact individuals through “Inmail” which is email sent from one LinkedIn profile to another.

As a LinkedIn user (http://www.linkedin.com/in/jenweaver) I have included a LinkedIn badge on my email signature as well, giving email recipients the option to click the badge and view my profile, gaining additional information about myself and my company.

I think this site can be very effective.  I enjoy reading posts from group discussions and have found some valuable information by posing questions to the groups I belong to.  I also think it can increase credibility, especially if you have recommendations on your profile from other LinkedIn users.  A recommendation is a written referral that is visible on your profile and I have had many people contact me because of the recommendations others have written on my behalf.

For finding new jobs, the job posting feature on LinkedIn may be helpful.  As I understand it, this feature is in it’s beta phase at the moment, but it holds great promise in light of the large number of LinkedIn members.

No comments:

Post a Comment